Thomas Walter and Malini Christine Ganesan celebrated their wedding in February this year at the delicious Sardinian restaurant Pilu at Freshwater in Sydney. I was lucky enough to be asked if I could make the cake…
The layers are (from top to bottom)
Fruit Cake 6″
Chocolate Buttermilk Cake 9″
Hazelnut Raspberry Cake 12″
All layers are covered in Chocolate Ganache and have a dark chocolate collar, fresh strawberries, blueberries and cherries.
The guests ate the bottom two layers at the wedding, and they finished both layers! That was after dessert…
Hazelnut Raspberry Cake
Made again for Thomas’ 40th birthday party in June. We enjoyed it with an espresso or two, made on a machine borrowed from their good friend Peter.
*Recipe from the Australian Women’s Weekly Website.
The top layer of fruit cake travelled back to Ulm in Germany and was not touched until my visit in June. What a surprise they had waited. It was perfect for eating by then.
*Recipe from Belinda Jeffery’s luscious book ‘Mix and Bake’.
39 thoughts on “Wedding Cake”
We were fortunate enough to be the ‘guinea pigs’ for these cakes – my mother in law and I are still talking about it! Just incredible, so moist, so very delicious!
Hey Phee, you guys are fun to cook for. You get as excited about food as I do! Thanks for all the tasting 🙂
Hi, found your wedding cake online, and was wondering how you made the chocolate collars as my wife and I have been asked to create a cake for a friend’s wedding. Is there any tutorial online as far as you know. Beautiful cake by the way.
A chocolate collar is quite simple to make with the right equipment. I haven’t searched for a tutorial, I used a friend’s advice but here is how I did mine. You’ll need:
1. Good quality couverture chocolate. I used 70% cocoa solids (dark or bittersweet chocolate).
2. A collar mould- It is a long sheet of thick plastic that often has a pattern embossed into it, the one here had a wrinkled effect, but you can get flower patterns etc. You should be able to find these at any good cake decorating shop or your local catering supplier should be able to order them in if they don’t stock them.
3. You need to fully cool your cake, then brush on a crumb coating which is a very thin layer of icing which helps your finished layer of icing look smooth, I used ganache chocolate and either cream or butter. Then I did a full layer of icing and let that set.
4. Cut your mould to the right length so it goes all the way around the circumference of your round cake. The width of the mould is how high the collar will sit.
5. When ready to do the collar, gently melt the chocolate in short bursts in the microwave or in a bowl sitting over a saucepan with a little boiling water in the bottom on the stovetop. Let the melted chocolate cool a little off the heat so it is still liquid and spread evenly over the collar mould, flat on the kitchen bench is probably easiest. Then sit the collar up with chocolate facing in towards the icing and fit it gently around the cake starting at one end and gently wrapping it around the cake so it sits flush with the icing. The icing is there so the collar has something to stick to. Stick the end down with tape if needed and cool in the refrigerator until fully set. Do not remove before set or the chocolate won’t come off cleanly from the mould.
6. I would highly recommend transporting each layer separately in tupperware or cardboard cake boxes and then assembling at the venue. I would also look up dowling techniques if you have more than one layer to support your cakes. I used small cake boards the same size as each of the smaller layers and small pieces of dowling in the cake below to support the cake above. I would put the cake on the cake board before doing the chocolate collar, or even before icing just to be safe. The cake board at the bottom can be a few inches bigger than the largest cake layer to give you room for decoration and for support.
Just a note regrading timing: I would start at least a few days ahead, and some cakes such as the chocolate buttermilk cake can be frozen a few weeks ahead and then defrosted when you need to ice it. They still taste delicious without texture being affected. If doing fruit cake you will need to make it weeks in advance to give the flavour time to mellow.
All the best, hope this helps!
Sam Wilkinson says:
Fruit Cakes are quite addictive and my mom always bake them every month.,*~
Hayden Bennett says:
Fruit Cakes are the specialty of my grandmother, she bakes lots of fruit cakes.:””
zOMtr, clonazepam recreational use, lIBnf, clonazepam 5mg, http://bonsaiscooter.ning.com/profiles/blogs/buy-clonazepam-10-mg what is clonazepam, uNDfb, clonazepam skutki uboczne, clonazepam 0.5 mg, cELof, best generic clonazepam, uMEok
free seo directory says:
This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You realize so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!
look beauty says:
Interesting web-site. We may well have used a little of the info and not have wasted so much effort.
Dark knight says:
These shoes are amazing. I love the outfit
olympic london says:
Te Invito a el Sitio : Luaka Bop Record
Beverly Apollo says:
It’s nearly impossible to find experienced people about this subject, however, you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks
olympic games says:
Most Business Knows How to Use Google ,But Most DO Not Know How their Businesses SHOULD Utilize Google to its Benefit \
Saundra Buretta says:
Nowadays to find a similar Efficient and Effective SEO Automation software at one Time payment of US 99-00 is a rarity\
Barbie Rasbery says:
who doesnt love to munch fruit cakes, they are really great.;
Look out for our new blog page as well
Tuyet Beeckman says:
Fruit cake is a served in Jamaica at Christmas celebrations and weddings. Slightly different than the Christmas fruit cake you find in Europe or the United States, this cake is potent and rich. In the Jamaican tradition, you make many cakes at once, because it is polite to offer cake to house guests during the holiday season. If you want to adopt this tradition, you may want to double or triple the rum cake recipe. Find out how to make Jamaican rum cake…
Remember to inspect our favorite web portal
Hello! I simply would like to give an enormous thumbs up for the great info you’ve here on this post.
I will likely be coming back to your blog for more soon.
Delcie Huckabey says:
I am continually searching online for posts that can assist me by posting them on my social media account. I will be posting to your content monthly. Thanks!
Good respond in return of this question with genuine arguments and explaining everything concerning that.
disney coloring pages printable princesses says:
If some one desires to be updated with latest technologies afterward he
must be visit this website and be up to date all the time.
disney coloring pages printable princesses
google advertising jobs says:
Hey there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my zynga group?
There’s a lot of people that I think would really enjoy
your content. Please let me know. Thanks
You’ll be met with an earthquake and woof, then afterward go talk to Pua.
Once done, get back to Craven, retrieve your lens and get back to camp.
There are many different styles and types of equipment that can be purchased from
your local grow shop or garden store.
free videos de putas says:
De acuerdo que ver porno usando dispositivos VR no es nuevo, pero en el siguiente
video las reacciones de gente que nunca ha experimentado la realidad virtual y la
prueban por primera vez con una cinta pornográfica no tiene
desperdicio alguno:Desde la chica que intenta mirar a otra parte sonriendo nerviosa
hasta el hombre que alza las manos cuando ve lo que la actriz del movie
le está viendo -y haciendo- al otro actor, exclamando”¡quítame eso de la cara!”.
video ngentot says:
Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a weblog site?
The account aided me a acceptable deal. I have been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast provided
bright transparent concept
Tortenfiguren essbar fur Geburtstag und Hochzeit says:
It’s really a nice and helpful piece of info.
I am happy that you just shared this helpful information with us.
Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.
Incredible, marvelous blog site structure! The length of time have Australia seo you been blogging with regard to? you’re making running a blog view easy. Your entire glimpse of your web site is a plus, because intelligently since the written content!
Fruit Cake Jamaica says:
There are so many weddings cakes that are can be prepared only for wedding
magazine 999 says:
it’s 2015, you should be able to use the Internet to subscribe. After all, you are capable enough to leave a snarky message.
It’s amazing to go to see this site and reading the views of all mates about
this post, while I am also eager of getting knowledge.
czy można założyć konto bankowe przez internet says:
Having read this I believed it was rather enlightening.
I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this informative
article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of time both reading and
leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!
czy konto firmowe jest obowiązkowe says:
That is really interesting, You are an excessively skilled blogger.
I’ve joined your feed and stay up for in the hunt for extra
of your excellent post. Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks
I’ve been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of
area . Exploring in Yahoo I ultimately stumbled upon this site.
Studying this information So i’m satisfied to express that I’ve an incredibly just right uncanny feeling I found
out just what I needed. I so much indubitably will make certain to do not omit this site and provides
it a look regularly.
Hi, always i used to check web site posts here in the
early hours in the morning, for the reason that i like to gain knowledge of more and more.
Ley De La Atracción Universal says:
Nice read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch as I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thank you for lunch!
Poker Online Terbaik Indonesia says:
I just want to say I’m new to be able to blogging Wedding Cake » Tina’s Foodie Blog and of course savored you’re blog site. Most likely I’m about to take a note of your blog . You have amazing posts. Regards regarding discussing here your site site. Poker Online Terbaik Indonesia https://feraripk.org/
Comments are closed.